On Friday, June 29th, Local 1991 joined other organizations for a press conference to respond to the landmark US Supreme Court ruling that upheld the constitutionality of the Affordable Care Act (ACA), the sweeping national health reform legislation that has improved the lives of millions, including our patients at Jackson Health System. The press conference took place outside the Wilkie D. Ferguson, Jr. United States Courthouse in downtown Miami.
Speaking to the press, President Martha Baker, RN, said it was an exciting moment for the community as our country takes the first steps toward healthcare reform. Such healthcare models are already in place and thriving in countries like Switzerland and the Netherlands.
“As the world’s richest country, it’s about time that America provides quality healthcare to its citizens,” Baker said. “Finally, we will be focusing on prevention and quality healthcare, which is not only the best way to take care of human beings, but also the cheapest.”
Other speakers at the event include:
- Omayra Hernandez, RN, Local 1991 member
- Vivienne Dixon-Shim, President of AFSCME Local 1363
- Steven Marcus, President and CEO of Health Foundation of South Florida
- Veille Sevigne, SEIU Local 1199 member
- Angelica Gurster, local small business owner
- Gesine Margenburg, local small business owner
- Jersey Garcia, Executive Director of Mi Lola
Check out pictures from the press conference!